This week we’re showcasing an incredible Micropolis build by 12 moc builders, creating a massive city landscape.
Alta Bezuidenhout originally became interested in micro builds after she spotted some inspiration online from several places. She approached Ferdie Versfeld with the idea to create a city, based on the TwinLUG standard. The project quickly escalated into a massive collaboration, involving 12 builders all over Gauteng. Most of the communication took place via Whatsapp in a group forum, which meant, if everyone is following the standard, everything will come together seamlessly.
The TwinLUG standard dictates that each module should be on a 16×16 stud baseplate, grouped in 32×32 stud city blocks. These modules are designed in such a way that they seamlessly join together in a more massive diorama. Peter Furstenberg introduced a new module into the standard, dealing with coastlines, creating a falloff into the ocean, an alternative to the city edges just ending.
For the zaLUG’s Clearwater event, members pledged 130 units measuring 1.8m x 1.2m in size. The team has grown in size since this exhibit, and is currently preparing for BrickFair 2019, which will boast an impressive 252 modules!
We invite you to explore this incredible Micropolis build, dubbed “Blockfontein” with us!
- LEGO Ideas: Hogwarts micro: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/1ab571a5-a4dc-431f-b085-7fb51e89ad39
- Star Wars Miniatures: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/109842-lddmocmicro-b-wing-x-wing-y-wing-millennium-falcon/
- Alta’s Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/153571396@N03/48404972902/in/dateposted-public/
- twinLUG Micropolis Standard: http://twinlug.com/micropolis-micro-city-standard/
Recognised LEGO® User Groups (South Africa)
- LEGO® USERS GROUP SOUTH AFRICA (zaLUG): https://www.zalug.co.za/
- LEGO® USERS GROUP Western Cape (capeLUG): http://capelug.co.za/
- Johannesburg LEGO® User Group (jhbLUG): https://jhblug.co.za/
- South African Fans of LEGO®: https://www.facebook.com/groups/safols/
- #aroundtheblock: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aroundtheblocklive/
- @BeyondTheBrickTV: https://www.youtube.com/user/BeyondTheBrickTV/